Follow iwantapounddog on Twitter

This is from an adoption in 2010. I recently saw a photo of Maggie and her owner and just have to share it.



What a perfect picture of the best thing anyone involved in adoption can wish for.

And from Maggie's owner:

I adopted her in March of 2010. She was in foster care so not sure how long she was actually at TAS.

She's doing very well. THey told me she was 10 when I adopted her so she's somewhere around 12 now but has no issues. She's due for her yearly checkup beginning of February so I will let you know if anything changes, but last yr at this time she didn't even have arthritis. She's super friendly and loves cuddles. She loves little dogs but has some issues w bigger ones, especially black labs (maybe she was used for breeding?).

The last few months I have seen her slow down a bit, she gets more tired during her walks, etc but she still runs and plays and rolls around in the snow like a puppy. Also I remember she was found in Dec 2009 in Trinity Bellwoods Park with pyometra and she almost died...they had sent the euthanasia order bc she didnt eat for 3 days, but at the last minute she decided to eat

Now she eats a lot.....



7 Comments to “Update on Maggie”

  1. Anonymous says:

    Oh what a sweet dog and a wonderful owner! May they both do well! Maggie looks exactly like my rescue dog who is also slowing down. He might be 10 or 12 years or somewhere around there. No one was really sure. Adopting an older dog gives us less time with the dog. Sad for us! But for the dog, as the photo of Maggie shows so well, it gives some happy, safe, comfortable years to a dog who has often suffered a harsh, cruel and lonely life.

  2. Lorena A says:

    Thx so much for posting this!!!! Yes older dogs give us less time w them, but I truly belive that time is worth more than anything. There is no wisdom and love like that of a senior dog. They have so much knowledge and experience and are at a point in their lives where they just want to relax and enjoy some downtime, and there is no downtime like downtime w Maggie!!!! She is amazing

  3. Anonymous says:

    Maggie looks just as beautiful as they day she came into the shelter!!! I was crying as I read this update. I am so glad to see she is doing well. When I adopted her out to you guys I was so happy for her. I knew you guys would be the perfect home for her. I am glad to see you both still love each other so much!!! Thank you for giving her such a wonderful home!!

  4. Anonymous says:

    HI Fred, I'm a little late reading this but realized that this is the Lab I found in Trinity Bellwoods. Before I got to the end of the post/update, I said "man, that REALLY looks like the sweet older doll I picked up at Bellwoods?" And, sure enough, I think it's her!
    SOOOO happy to see that she went to a wonderful home and that TAS took her in and helped this older girl. It reminds me of how grateful I am to have adopted my CRAZY Lab from TAS South over 4 years ago - one that had been listed as unadoptable at the time, given her totally out-of-control behaviour and lack of socialization. She is an absolute DOLL and, to this day, 4 years later, still never leaves my side when I'm home (and I work from home so we're practically GLUED to each other!). I don't think James would believe that she is WONDERFUL with kittens, cats, small children and even my husband (who was a stranger to any pets!) has grown attached to her and they enjoy very early-morning/4:30AM walks, just the 2 of them, and tug-of-war sessions.

    Anyway, I could ramble on and on about her, she is the love of my life. I'm so grateful that TAS took a chance and let me 'foster' her initially (I failed - I fell in love and had to adopt her!) as I can't imagine my days without her and I'm SO happy to see that this Black Lab also found her forever home.


    Thanks so much for all you do!
    :)

  5. Fred says:

    Hey Anon, I know you! I'm glad to hear things are going well with you and yours. I'll tell James you dropped by. (Hey, maybe we can get a photo update sometime?)

  6. Anonymous says:

    Hi guys, not sure if anyone will read this but here it goes. Maggie AKA Momma or Hippo as I called her, passed away last year, on February 18th. I cant believe it has almost been a year. I miss her everyday still as if she was here yesterday. She developed a tumor on her leg/shoulder that touched a nerve and wasn't suitable for surgery. It was very painful for her and her care the last 2 months was palliative and making sure she was comfortable but near the end I couldn't watch her not be herself anymore. She was so strong until the end though, although it was hard for her to walk she would still greet me w her stuffed toy (Leo the Lion) when I came home, wagging her tail. I really don't believe I'm biased when I say she was the perfect dog. Rode perfect in the car, just sitting there w her head out of the window, put order in the dog park when things got out of control but minded her own business otherwise, let my bearded dragon crawl all over her and would just look at me as if saying 'Really mom? You're letting this happen?", and although she was a Hungry Hippo, she listened so well and let me put a treat on her nose and would wait until her command to 'Go!' and then it would fly in the air and sometimes she would catch it, other times she wouldn't but every time she would eat it w pure joy. I miss my Hungry Hippo so much. Her face had turned almost completely white as had her paws; she was so beautiful and gentle. Such a calm and tender disposition. I remember the first picture I saw of her and telling my boyfriend that I found our dog and before he could reply I had emailed TAS about her, went in to see her a couple of days later, and she came home that day with us. My beautiful Momma. I miss her so much. Thanks for giving me an awesome 4 years Maggie. I'm sure no other dog will come close to bringing me the joy you did. I hope you're running free without pain and watching over me.

  7. Fred says:

    I'm sorry to hear this news about Maggie but thank you for sharing it with us. You gave Maggie a great four years and that is the best any pet, or perhaps anyone, can hope for at the end of life. My deepest condolences to you on this anniversary.

Leave a Reply



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A request

The reason for this blog is to help get specific dogs adopted from TAS but equally important is to try to normalize the idea of shelter dogs being just as good and just as desirable as any other dogs including those which are regularly merchandised by backyard breeders, puppy millers and those few remaining pet store owners who still feel a need to sell live animals. The single greatest stigma shelter animals still face is the belief that shelter animals are substandard animals. Anyone who has had enough experience with shelter animals knows this is untrue but the general public hasn't had the same experiences you've had. They see a nice dog photo in a glossy magazine and too many of them would never think of associating that dog with a dog from a shelter. After all, no one abandons perfectly good dogs, right? Unfortunately, as we all know, perfectly good dogs are abandoned all the time.

The public still too often associates shelter dogs with images of beat up, sick, dirty, severely traumatized animals and while we definitely sometimes see victims such as these, they are certainly not the majority and, regardless, even the most abused animals can very often be saved and made whole again.

Pound Dogs sometimes discusses the sad histories some of the dogs have suffered. For the most part, though, it tries to present the dogs not as victims but as great potential family members. The goal is to raise the profiles of animals in adoption centers so that a potential pet owner sees them as the best choice, not just as the charity choice.

So, here's the favour I'm asking. Whenever you see a dog picture on these pages you think is decent enough, I'd like you to consider sharing it on Facebook or any other social media sites you're using (I know many of you do this already and thank you for that). And when you share it, please mention that the dog in the photo is a shelter dog like so many other shelter dogs waiting for a home. If we can get even five percent of the pet buying public to see shelter dogs differently, to see how beautiful they are and how wonderful they are, and to consider shelter dogs as their first choice for a new family member, we can end the suffering of homeless pets in this country.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------